12.22.2010

christmas-zilla

it may be that this is my first christmas as an only child (big sis is at in-laws, little sis in ireland with a friend) or that it's my last christmas being had during a month-long break (crossing fingers i'll have a job by may!), but my sentimentality has kicked in to high gear.

i've always been THE BIGGEST sucker for christmas as far as the anderson house goes. i think it all started with my moms incredible knack for decorating and the holidays, but somewhere between purchasing a christmas tree for my own room at age 9 and crying when we opened our new pajamas on december 23rd rather then the 24th eleven years later, i became christmas-zilla.

i reign queen so heavily during this -- what i think should be -- month long holiday, that while centering the garland and lights just perfecting above the front door i directed my ex-interior decoratoring mother towards the scissors in the kitchen only to hear her whisper "look at the monster i've created" into my dad's ear.

with a subject line of christmas-zilla and phrases like "i reign queen so heavily" you may be thinking i run around like a terror in a santa hat. honestly, i think ive just adopted that same knack and passion for design, christmas, and interior decorating that my mom has -- and cranked it up a few notches with the hope that my home can look half as good as hers one day. she makes driving the 8 minutes to get home from college feel like the 4 hour drive most of my friends take -- well worth it, homey, and ready for the family to settle down for White Christmas for the thousandth time or for a christmas puzzle.
thanks mom, i couldn't be happier with being home.

1 comment: